Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is Violent Event Coverage?

    Barton Mutual partnered with Berkley Re Solutions to begin offering Violent Event Coverage on our Homeowner policies starting in 2023. This partnership can provide you with expert services that will help you recover from Violent Events and Violent Acts. Within the coverage are limits for mental health counseling, emergency transportation, lost wages, funeral expenses, and more. Some coverages even apply to your children, grandchildren and parents as part of the Family Member Extension. For a full explanation of coverages, please review the coverage form.

  • What is Workplace Violence coverage?

    Barton Mutual partnered with Berkley Re Solutions to begin offering Workplace Violence coverage on our commercial policies starting in 2022. This valuable coverage is an unfortunate necessity today. The coverage picks up known gaps. Most policies exclude Business Interruption losses without physical damage. Furthermore, Crisis Management Expenses are typically not covered in the underlying BOP or Package and Workers’ Compensation typically would not extend coverage for mental anguish to employees who witnessed the Workplace Violence Event but were not physically harmed. Our Workplace Violence coverage is designed to keep your coverage as relevant and as up-to-date as possible; covering you for potential eventualities. To learn more about this multi-faceted coverage, visit

  • What is commercial lines Cyber coverage?

    Coverages to help assist with a breach:

    • First-Party Privacy Breach Expense, including up to $10,000 each for Extortion Threat Expenses, and Data Replacement and System Restoration Expense
    • Third-Party Cyber Liability Coverage, including up to $10,000 for PCI Fines
    • Regulatory Proceeding Claim Expense, including up to $10,000 for Regulatory Fines
    • Optional First-Party Business Interruption, which equals 25% of the aggregate limit.

    The Standard Aggregate inclusive of all coverages above is $25,000, with optional limits available of $50,000, $100,000 and $250,000. These coverages include additional services, such as:

    • Notification letter preparation, printing and mailing
    • Toll free number to Sontiq’s Resolution Center
    • Call handling
    • Credit monitoring and fraud alerts
    • Fraud resolution services
    • Investigative and forensic services

  • What is personal lines Cyber coverage?

    You are more connected than ever and criminals know the information accessed by your family is valuable. Criminals steal passwords, data, money and identities. Even worse than financial loss is the threat of cyber bullying and reputational harm. Family cyber protection helps you by guarding your loved ones from these dangers.

    Online risks take many forms for you and your family. Coverages include:

    • Online Extortion. Expenses and ransom paid for threats to cause a network disruption.
    • Cyber Bullying Response. Costs for counseling, tutoring, temporary relocation, tuition expense.
    • Identity Theft. Costs and help in reclaiming your policyholder’s identity.
    • System Compromise. Data recovery and system restoration needs.
    • Internet Clean Up. Expenses associated with removing false statements on the internet.
    • Breach Cost. Costs associated with notification, investigation and monitoring a breach.
    • Social Engineering. Costs that arise from the intentional misleading of an individual which leads to the insured willingly sending money to a fraudster.

    Services include:

    Identity Management

    • Provides unlimited 24/7 service and support to help minimize damage and resolve identity theft incidents.


    • Diagnose the issue and implement a plan to protect data.
    • Get access to highly experienced professionals with deep expertise in information security, data privacy and governance.
    • Receive customized ransomware risk assessment and prevention services.

    Breach Protection

    • Investigation of a breach and corresponding legal requirements.
    • Notification services to alert anyone affected by a breach.
    • Monitoring provided for those affected by a breach.

    Educational Services

    • Partnership with, a nonprofit working to eradicate cyberbullying worldwide.
    • Alerts on the latest scams, fraud attempts and ways to prepare.
    • Alerts on the latest malware and how to stay safe online.

    Cyberscout Claims

    • Personalized handling of any cyber liability claim.

  • How do I make a payment?

    Barton can accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover or a check by phone. Call 417-843-6265 and press 2 to take advantage of these payment options (Monday-Friday from 8:00-4:30). We are pleased to offer these additional payment methods at no added cost to you! You are also welcome to mail a check to our office in the envelope provided with your billing. Your agent can also accept a check or credit card payment for us.

  • What is the Service Line Enhancement Endorsement?

    Service Line coverage provides protection against a leak, break, tear, rupture, collapse or arcing of a covered underground service line caused by:

    • Artificially generated electrical current
    • Freezing
    • Mechanical breakdown, latent defect or inherent vice
    • Root invasion
    • Wear and tear, marring, deterioration, hidden decay rust or other corrosion
    • Weight of equipment, animals or people

    The “covered service line” must be:

    • Located on the “insured premises.”
    • Providing a service to the residence as defined in the endorsement.
    • Owned by the insured or the insured must be legally liable for its repair or replacement.

  • What are the payment options and the fees?

    Annual (Full Pay) - no billing fee

    Semi-Annual (2 Pay) - $4 billing fee per billing

    Quarterly (4 Pay) - $4 billing fee per billing

    Monthly - $1 billing fee per billing. The monthly payment option must be automatically drafted from a bank account. Use the Bank Draft Authorization Form to enroll in this option.

  • Can I make a payment online?

    If your policy number begins with three letters (ART, HOP, etc.), you can set up an online account and make a payment online! Go to to sign up. You will need a declarations page or an invoice handy in order to get the required information to set up the account. If your policy number is six digits or begins with a single C or W, it is still in our old software and cannot be paid online. For any policy with us, you may call our office to make a free payment over the phone with your Visa, Mastercard, Discover or a check. You may also go to your agent’s office to make a payment.

  • Can I make a partial payment on my bill?

    If you pay less than the invoice amount, we may change your billing mode to the payment option that most closely meets the balance paid. The lowest amount you can pay is two month’s premium, but then you must enroll in monthly pay, which can only be done by automatic bank draft.

  • Do you charge an additional fee to make a payment over the phone?

    No! It is free to make a payment by phone. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover and checks by phone. Call 417-843-6265 and press 2 to take advantage of these convenient payment options (Monday-Friday from 8:00-4:30).

  • How do I change my billing mode?

    If you wish to enroll in the monthly option, please fill out the Bank Draft Authorization Form and send it in to our office with two months premium. If you wish to change to a different mode, please call our home office or your agent.

  • My payment was late. Can my policy be reinstated?

    A policy canceled for non-payment may be reinstated (subject to company approval). The policyholder must submit a signed Statement of No Losses. After receipt of the statement, we will accept payment and a $25 fee will be charged.

  • What is the overnight billing address?

    PO Box 99 / 120 S Main Street, Liberal, MO 64762

  • What is the maximum limit of coverage you will write on a commercial risk?

    The amounts vary depending on the fire class your business falls in. The combined amount of the building and business personal property can go up to $700,000. Contact your agent to learn more and find out the maximum amount of coverage you might be eligible for.

  • What damages are not covered under my policy?

    You should consult your specific policy for coverages and exclusions.

  • If I conduct business at home, is my business property covered by my homeowner policy?

    Your policy may contain a small amount of coverage for business property. If you have a business in your home, you should get a separate policy for that business property. Contact your agent to get a quote.

  • Are any items in my home not covered by my policy?

    There may be items that are excluded or have limited coverage. You should consult your policy for these excluded or limited items.

  • Is my cell phone, music collection, home stereo equipment, etc. covered?

    If your policy contains personal property coverage, these items would be covered—subject to the policy deductible—up to the policy limit in the event of a covered loss. If they are used for business purposes, there would be a limitation on the amount of coverage.

  • Will my policy pay for damage to my trees and shrubs?

    There may be limited coverage for trees and shrubs, but the coverage is also limited to certain events. You should check with your agent for coverage details.

  • Why is there a roof exclusion on my policy?

    A roof exclusion generally means your roof is worn out. We are unable to allow coverage for roofs that have exceeded their useful life. Your roof will also be excluded if the roofing cover is a material which is ineligible for coverage with us.

  • How do I find out if my policy covers “x”?

    Please refer to your specific policy for the list of exclusions and coverages. If you have questions, please contact your agent for assistance in understanding your policy.

  • How do I check the coverages I currently have?

    Please contact your agent so that they may assist you in changing your policy or understanding your current coverages. You can get a copy of your current declaration page from your agent or by requesting a copy from our home office.

  • What is a special perils policy?

    A special perils policy means that all types of loss are covered unless they are specifically excluded in the exclusions portion of the policy.

  • What is a named perils policy?

    A named perils policy is a policy that lists certain perils that are covered. If the damage isn’t caused by one of the listed or named perils there is no coverage for the loss under this type of policy.

  • What is medical payments coverage?

    Medical payments coverage applies for an injury to a third party regardless of whether the insured is liable for an incident. If a covered loss occurs, the medical payments limit is available to the injured party for necessary medical expenses.

  • What is liability coverage?

    Liability insurance protects you from claims made against you by a third party alleging damages. If you are sued for a covered incident, we will pay for an attorney to defend you, court costs, and any damages awarded up to the policy limit. Liability claims, or potential liability claims, should be reported immediately so that we can provide guidance to you and begin investigations.

  • What is subrogation?

    If a third party is responsible for the damages to your property, but you are forced to make a claim on your policy, we will pursue the third party to compensate us for the damages paid. If damages are recovered, we can return a prorated amount or your entire deductible to you.

  • What is a replacement policy?

    The claim is adjusted at replacement cost up to the policy limit. The policyholder is paid the actual cash value of the loss initially and can then “recover” an amount up to the amount of the withheld depreciation once repairs or replacement is completed. This is referred to as recoverable depreciation.

  • What is an actual cash value (ACV) policy?

    An ACV policy pays for loss to items (if the loss is covered by the policy) based on the value of the item at the time of loss. If your television was destroyed by fire, payment would be based on the age of the television; you would not receive payment based on what it is worth as a new television. The good news is, on most policies, you can purchase a coverage that will pay for an item of contents (such as the television) based on the new value - although the deductible will apply.

  • What is the automatic increase feature on my policy?

    This feature increases your dwelling/building coverage to help keep up with inflation and the rising costs of building materials and construction. Though we increase your dwelling/building coverage annually, this is no guarantee your dwelling/building is adequately insured. It is the responsibility of the policyholder to determine adequate coverage. Contact your agent if you need help determining the adequate coverage amount for your property. It is also important that you notify your agent if you make significant changes that increase the value of your property.

  • Why is my mortgagee listed on my check?

    We have a contractual duty to list the mortgagee on the check since they also have an interest in the property. You should contact your mortgage company for instructions on how to handle the endorsement and deposit of the check.

  • The estimates I've obtained for my repairs exceed the adjuster's appraisal, what should I do?

    Contact our claims department before starting any repairs, obtain two estimates and send them to us for review. It’s imperative that you wait to make permanent repairs until we have been able to review the claim for any possible additional damage.

  • If I cannot live in my house, will you pay for me to rent a hotel room or home in the interim?

    If your policy contains coverage for Additional Living Costs, and your home is made uninhabitable by a covered loss, we will pay the additional costs of alternate living arrangements for the reasonable time it would take to repair or replace the property. By additional costs, we mean those expenses that are over and above your normal living expenses. This is subject to the coverage limit.

  • If my pipes freeze, what can I do? How can I prevent further damage?

    Take necessary measures to thaw them out. If there is a broken pipe or a water leak, shut off the water. Contact your agent immediately.

  • What do I do if I have a fire or water damage claim?

    Contact your agent as soon as possible. The claim should be promptly reported to the company so that an adjuster can commence assessment of the claim.

  • Someone was injured on my property. Should I report the claim now or wait until later?

    Your policy requires that you provide prompt notice of claim. It is in your best interest to report it as soon as possible so that we can investigate it.

  • How will I be contacted after I file my claim?

    Some claims require a field adjuster to come to your property to inspect the damages. Others, such as small theft, livestock, or lightning claims are handled from the office, and you will be contacted by telephone. In the event we are unable to reach you by phone, we will mail paperwork to you.

  • I'm not certain I have damage, should I open a claim?

    It is your decision as the insured whether or not to open a claim. If you are uncertain whether a claim should be opened, get someone to look at your damages with you to help you make a decision. Once your agent has submitted a loss notice to us a claim will be opened on your policy.

  • Is there a questionnaire or form I could refer to that would help me determine if I should file a claim?

    No resources like that exist as far as we are aware. Contact an expert or your agent to discuss the damages. Remember that your deductible applies per claim.

  • Will you hire the contractor to do my repairs or do I get to choose?

    The choice of contractor is always up to you.

  • Does my deductible apply on an annual basis or is it per claim?

    The deductible applies per claim. For example, if your deductible is $2,500 and you have a payable claim June 1, you would incur the cost of the deductible. If you had a second payable claim on July 1, you would again incur the cost of the deductible. Each time you have a claim you incur the deductible.

  • Does paying premiums guarantee that my claim will be paid?

    Paying premiums only guarantees that your policy remains in force. For a claim to be paid, it must be caused by a covered peril, policy conditions must be met and the damages must be higher than your deductible.

  • I had damages on a weekend. How can I report a claim? What repairs can I make in the meantime?

    Our regular business hours are 8:00-4:30 Monday through Friday. You can attempt to contact your agent or leave a voicemail in our after hours box. You can make temporary repairs but should not begin permanent repairs until the adjuster has inspected the property. Please save any receipts for expenses incurred due to temporary repairs.

  • How do I file a claim?

    Please contact your agent to report a claim. If you are unable to reach your agent, you may call our office to report the claim: 417-843-6265 and press 1.

  • How do I cancel my policy?

    Contact your agent or mail us a request. It’s important to name the specific date of cancellation. We also need to know if your mailing address has changed. Although not mandatory, we would like to know the reason for cancellation. We cannot cancel a policy by phone.

  • What does an umbrella policy cover?

    An umbrella policy provides additional liability coverage for the named insured. Primary policies generally cover bodily injury and property damage. The umbrella policy will kick in after the liability limit in one of the underlying primary policies, such as a homeowner or auto policy, runs out. The umbrella policy will cover the insured above the amount of an underlying policy up to the coverage limit selected for a covered claim.

  • How do I get a commercial quote?

    Contact one of our agents in your area to have them get a quote for you. Find an agent near you.

  • Do I need to run all questions, changes, claims, etc. through my agent’s office before I can call the home office?

    No, but we do encourage communication between the agent and insured.

  • When should I make changes to my policy?

    Your agent can give you recommendations on this topic. Some reasons include:

    • If you move, change phone numbers, change mortgagees or want to change any of the optional coverages on your policy.
    • If you change, remove or add wood heat of any kind.
    • If the named insured changes due to the death of an insured, a divorce, or marriage.
    • If the property becomes vacant.
    • If you have an owner occupied policy and the adults living on premises change.
    • If you move out of your home and allow somebody else to live in it.
    • If the value of your property changes significantly. It is your responsibility to make sure you carry enough coverage on your property. It is a good idea to have your home appraised periodically to be sure you carry enough coverage.

  • What factors impact the premium of my policy?

    The age of your home, the fire protection class, the wind experience across the state and the total experience of the statistical group in which you are placed all affect the rating of your policy.

  • How do I change agents?

    We require a signed written request to change agents. The agent you are transferring to can submit your signed Change Agent of Record request.

  • Who is my agent? How do I contact him/her?

    Your agent’s name and contact information is on your declarations page and your invoice.

  • How much home insurance do I need?

    Many questions need answered to determine how much coverage you need. One of our professional agents can assist you in that determination. Find an agent near you.

  • What states do you write business in?

    Missouri is currently the only state in which Barton Mutual is licensed to write business.

  • What types of businesses does Barton Mutual insure?

    We write small commercial accounts, including retail, office, service, churches, apartments, warehouses, restaurants, motels/hotels, light manufacturing and contractors. Contact your agent to discuss any of our commercial products and to get a quote. Find an agent near you.

  • What type of property does Barton Mutual insure?

    We insure homes, mobile homes, farms, rentals, seasonals, small commercial risks and vacant properties within the state of Missouri. Contact an agent for a quote on your property. Find an agent near you.

Disclaimer: These FAQs do not replace or override the wording in your policy. You should read your dec page and policy for specific policy provisions, limitations and exclusions. For a complete explanation of coverages, please consult one of our licensed agents.

Have a question? Ask Us or Find an Agent