Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is Violent Event Coverage?

    Barton Mutual partnered with Berkley Re Solutions to begin offering Violent Event Coverage on our Homeowner policies starting in 2023. This partnership can provide you with expert services that will help you recover from Violent Events and Violent Acts. Within the coverage are limits for mental health counseling, emergency transportation, lost wages, funeral expenses, and more. Some coverages even apply to your children, grandchildren and parents as part of the Family Member Extension. For a full explanation of coverages, please review the coverage form.

  • What is Workplace Violence coverage?

    Barton Mutual partnered with Berkley Re Solutions to begin offering Workplace Violence coverage on our commercial policies starting in 2022. This valuable coverage is an unfortunate necessity today. The coverage picks up known gaps. Most policies exclude Business Interruption losses without physical damage. Furthermore, Crisis Management Expenses are typically not covered in the underlying BOP or Package and Workers’ Compensation typically would not extend coverage for mental anguish to employees who witnessed the Workplace Violence Event but were not physically harmed. Our Workplace Violence coverage is designed to keep your coverage as relevant and as up-to-date as possible; covering you for potential eventualities. To learn more about this multi-faceted coverage, visit

  • What is commercial lines Cyber coverage?

    Coverages to help assist with a breach:

    • First-Party Privacy Breach Expense, including up to $10,000 each for Extortion Threat Expenses, and Data Replacement and System Restoration Expense
    • Third-Party Cyber Liability Coverage, including up to $10,000 for PCI Fines
    • Regulatory Proceeding Claim Expense, including up to $10,000 for Regulatory Fines
    • Optional First-Party Business Interruption, which equals 25% of the aggregate limit.

    The Standard Aggregate inclusive of all coverages above is $25,000, with optional limits available of $50,000, $100,000 and $250,000. These coverages include additional services, such as:

    • Notification letter preparation, printing and mailing
    • Toll free number to Sontiq’s Resolution Center
    • Call handling
    • Credit monitoring and fraud alerts
    • Fraud resolution services
    • Investigative and forensic services

  • What is personal lines Cyber coverage?

    You are more connected than ever and criminals know the information accessed by your family is valuable. Criminals steal passwords, data, money and identities. Even worse than financial loss is the threat of cyber bullying and reputational harm. Family cyber protection helps you by guarding your loved ones from these dangers.

    Online risks take many forms for you and your family. Coverages include:

    • Online Extortion. Expenses and ransom paid for threats to cause a network disruption.
    • Cyber Bullying Response. Costs for counseling, tutoring, temporary relocation, tuition expense.
    • Identity Theft. Costs and help in reclaiming your policyholder’s identity.
    • System Compromise. Data recovery and system restoration needs.
    • Internet Clean Up. Expenses associated with removing false statements on the internet.
    • Breach Cost. Costs associated with notification, investigation and monitoring a breach.
    • Social Engineering. Costs that arise from the intentional misleading of an individual which leads to the insured willingly sending money to a fraudster.

    Services include:

    Identity Management

    • Provides unlimited 24/7 service and support to help minimize damage and resolve identity theft incidents.


    • Diagnose the issue and implement a plan to protect data.
    • Get access to highly experienced professionals with deep expertise in information security, data privacy and governance.
    • Receive customized ransomware risk assessment and prevention services.

    Breach Protection

    • Investigation of a breach and corresponding legal requirements.
    • Notification services to alert anyone affected by a breach.
    • Monitoring provided for those affected by a breach.

    Educational Services

    • Partnership with, a nonprofit working to eradicate cyberbullying worldwide.
    • Alerts on the latest scams, fraud attempts and ways to prepare.
    • Alerts on the latest malware and how to stay safe online.

    Cyberscout Claims

    • Personalized handling of any cyber liability claim.

  • What is the Service Line Enhancement Endorsement?

    Service Line coverage provides protection against a leak, break, tear, rupture, collapse or arcing of a covered underground service line caused by:

    • Artificially generated electrical current
    • Freezing
    • Mechanical breakdown, latent defect or inherent vice
    • Root invasion
    • Wear and tear, marring, deterioration, hidden decay rust or other corrosion
    • Weight of equipment, animals or people

    The “covered service line” must be:

    • Located on the “insured premises.”
    • Providing a service to the residence as defined in the endorsement.
    • Owned by the insured or the insured must be legally liable for its repair or replacement.

  • What is the maximum limit of coverage you will write on a commercial risk?

    The amounts vary depending on the fire class your business falls in. The combined amount of the building and business personal property can go up to $700,000. Contact your agent to learn more and find out the maximum amount of coverage you might be eligible for.

  • What damages are not covered under my policy?

    You should consult your specific policy for coverages and exclusions.

  • If I conduct business at home, is my business property covered by my homeowner policy?

    Your policy may contain a small amount of coverage for business property. If you have a business in your home, you should get a separate policy for that business property. Contact your agent to get a quote.

  • Are any items in my home not covered by my policy?

    There may be items that are excluded or have limited coverage. You should consult your policy for these excluded or limited items.

  • Is my cell phone, music collection, home stereo equipment, etc. covered?

    If your policy contains personal property coverage, these items would be covered—subject to the policy deductible—up to the policy limit in the event of a covered loss. If they are used for business purposes, there would be a limitation on the amount of coverage.

  • Will my policy pay for damage to my trees and shrubs?

    There may be limited coverage for trees and shrubs, but the coverage is also limited to certain events. You should check with your agent for coverage details.

  • Why is there a roof exclusion on my policy?

    A roof exclusion generally means your roof is worn out. We are unable to allow coverage for roofs that have exceeded their useful life. Your roof will also be excluded if the roofing cover is a material which is ineligible for coverage with us.

  • How do I find out if my policy covers “x”?

    Please refer to your specific policy for the list of exclusions and coverages. If you have questions, please contact your agent for assistance in understanding your policy.

  • How do I check the coverages I currently have?

    Please contact your agent so that they may assist you in changing your policy or understanding your current coverages. You can get a copy of your current declaration page from your agent or by requesting a copy from our home office.

Disclaimer: These FAQs do not replace or override the wording in your policy. You should read your dec page and policy for specific policy provisions, limitations and exclusions. For a complete explanation of coverages, please consult one of our licensed agents.

Have a question? Ask Us or Find an Agent