Swimming Pool SafetyJuly 15, 2015
Adapted from www.poolsafely.gov.
Do you follow these safety practices when swimming in your pool, a friend’s pool or even a community pool?
- Always watch your children when they are in or near a pool.
- Teach children basic water safety tips (and invest in swimming lessons).
- Keep a phone nearby in case of emergency.
- Learn CPR for children and adults.
- Understand the basics of life-saving so you can assist in a pool emergency.
If you own a pool (or spa), you should follow these safety guidelines:
- Install a fence that is at least four foot tall and use a self-closing gate.
- Install and use a lockable safety cover on your spa.
- If your house serves as a fourth side of a fence around a pool, install door alarms. For additional protection, install window guards and a gate alarm on the pool fence.
Pools can—and should—provide hours of summer fun; just be sure you observe basic safety rules!